Thursday, April 30, 2009

#7

Happy May Day everyone! I have some reviews in the new issue of REAX Magazine that came out today. I reviewed the new Decemberists, Camera Obscura, and St. Vincent albums. Make sure to grab your copy, and if you have the time, write in and let me know what your take on these albums are. Thanks!


"I Got Lost" - Loney, Dear

Forgive me. This issue of 5SIAR will not be as lengthy and interesting as previous ones. Something called “studying for finals” got in the way. At least my brain power went to something constructive and not the uselessness that Billy Corgan seems to be bringing to the table lately. Speaking of which, if anyone hasn’t read my rant on him then I invite you to do so here. Anyway, on with the show.

Emil Svanängen, the Swedish multi-instrumentalist going by the pseudo-name Loney, Dear (this guy loves the comma), has been creating that dreamy type of indie-folk akin to Sufjan Stevens for quite a while now. Yet, as with most music from overseas, it takes a while to catch on here in the states. It helps to tour with someone like Andrew Bird, which Svanängen did for the most recent tour for his 2009 release, Dear John. He began recording where most young musicians do, in their parent's basement. I can't help but picture him trying to record his first song and his mom calling out for him to come to dinner or take out the trash. Still, that first basement recorded album garnered enough attention just by word of mouth to get him a record deal and a ticket to move out of ma and pa's house.

The album is worth a listen or two, but it's nothing to write home about. The scene seems to be flooded with Loney, Dear's reverence to indie. It does deserve some credit though. While the album is reminiscent to most other indie albums of past or present tense, it does a good job on not stepping on the toes of those albums. I can't say the same for that band Crystal Stilts. Can we say Iggy & The Stooges' Raw Power?



"2 + 2 = 5" - Radiohead

If you didn't see them on their tour last year, then I'm sorry, you missed quite a show. Thom and fellow droogs put on one hell of a display of musical genius, even in a shitty amphitheater venue. The sound was good, the setlist was great, being around thousands of fellow Radiohead fans was phenomenal, and not hearing a lot from Hail To The Thief was appreciated. Let's face it, HTTT hasn't been their strongest release. I think even the most die-hard fan can attest to that. The album seemed to have stirred up enough malcontent in some people to give them the excuse to stop listening to the band completely. When I say completely I mean they didn't even give In Rainbows a chance, which in my opinion, is a great album, but I guess it wasn't great enough to bring back some of the fans that set sail.

I think maybe some people get tired of all the hype Radiohead always gets. Not to sound cruel or judgmental, but people, fans or not, do tend to raise an ear every time one little iota of Radiohead news is spilled out onto the internet. Even Pitchfork, the most staunch when it comes to real music news, started salivating after one little mention of recording a new album that Johnny gave recently. I mean, yes, it is nice to know an artist is in the studio working on their next release, but I really don't care to hear anything about it until at least near post-production and mastering. I'm picky. I like to not know that way it seems like less time between albums. Don't judge me.

Again, to reiterate, not my favorite, or anyone's favorite Radiohead album. I don't think it's in contention at all. This track, and the very last track "Wolf At The Door" are probably my only favorites. The rest is just an example of the band's frustration with themselves. They went through a rough patch for a while, and it certainly shows with the quality of tunes during this period of time. We can't blame Bush for that one, or can we?



"Include Me Out" - Young Marble Giants

It's a 5SIAR first. A track that is from someone's random mix that was made that I took a liking to and threw on my iPod. The mix- The Top Of Damon's Charts. Last issue's Cyndi Lauper song was also from the very same mix. So now with that being said, this song isn't the first from that mix to make it to 5SIAR. Oh well. It is still a random song, therefore it fits the bill.

OK, I'll confess now that the only reason I stole this mix was to have that Cyndi Lauper song. You caught me. However, now that this song has popped up and I am forced by the laws put in place by the 5SIAR gods (me), I kinda have to listen to it. Fine by me because now it makes me want to go listen to more Young Marble Giants. The song is a tease clocking in at 2:01 so by nature I'm curious to find out if all their songs have the same length or does their minimalist post-punk go a little deeper down the rabbit hole to end up in the land of "something more." As of right now, with this song, I can see why YMG were an influence to the early 90's grunge via Nirvana and Hole. Both bands covered another Giants song from the same album called "Credit in the Straight World."

Young Marble Giants are another perfect example of a band being ahead of their time. Now that I've listened and not skipped this track I can hear their influence on not only the music of the 90's, but also new bands making their debut right now in the present. I believe this is why many bands of yesteryear are reuniting again. So far we've seen My Bloody Valentine come together again, Dinosaur Jr., and now Young Marble Giants have followed suit to perform at various UK festivals. They want to show the newbies how it's really done. My only question is: When will Hum reunite for a new album?



"She Is Beyond Good And Evil" - The Pop Group

Wow, yet another early 80's post-punk band that seems to have influenced every single other present day band those Pitchfork dudes and dudeettes are telling you to listen to lately. Pitchfork, I love to hate 'em. Yet sometimes they do have some fairly witty and smart commentary that I agree with. Last year they came out with a book highlighting their top 500 songs from 1978-2008. It's in chronological order and not numbered so there isn't a specific #1 song. It is more like a nice little reference guide to the past three decades of music genres and sub-genres. For those who don't have it I suggest getting it. Makes a good Christmas gift, which was how I received it (thanks again, Edward).

I'll go ahead and give the excerpt from the book about this song since I am so pressed for time I don't have any to begin research about The Pop Group. Pitchfork can do the talking for me on this one. Meh, I felt a little queasy as I typed that. I promise not to slack on next issue.

"After an opening swell of distortion that recalls Jimi Hendrix circa "Foxy Lady," the femme fatale of the title is invoked as a spiky Venus. The band struggles to catch up to her, diving into dubbed-out foxholes dug by reggae producer Dennis Bovill. Frontman Mark Stewart stops the show with a shrieked "I hold you like a gunnnnnnn" that triggers a cavernous clang, then landslides into an anti-guitar solo of fantastically rude physicality. Crooning that "Western values mean nothing to her," the Pop Group earn their Nietzschean name-dropping with music that suitably Dionysian, ruthless, and ecstatic." -From the book The Pitchfork 500

Translation: I guess it's good, or else we wouldn't have put it in our book.



"Let Forever Be" - The Chemical Brothers

As soon as this track came on and I started listening to it, I couldn't help but think of "Blue Monday" from New Order. But not New Order's version, Orgy's version. Ugh, I feel sick again.

When was the last time you or someone you know jammed out to The Chemical Brothers? Yeah, I don't remember either. In fact, I don't think I ever have. I don't even think I've had any friends or acquaintances who have. Are we missing out? If there is a Chem Bros fan out there reading this then please leave a comment explaining, in detail, why I should listen to them. I believe the only redeeming quality to this song is the fact that Michel Gondry directed the video to it. Let's watch!!



Survey says: Your song will automatically be better if you can get Gondry to make the video for it. Take "Fell In Love With A Girl" from The White Stripes for instance. It's a good song, but the Lego block video makes it that much better. When it came to The Chem Bros, it was Gondry's use of the video camera and post-prod effects that gave this song some gerth. It certainly wasn't Noel Gallagher's voice.


1 comment:

  1. I actually used to listen to quite a bit of the Chemical Brothers back in the distant dark ages of 1999 or so. This is a good album, too, although it hasn't aged quite as well as it might have. All those 'block rockin' beats' of the last decade somehow seem a bit more quaint and dated, now. Not to say that Surrender is not an album worth listening to. It finally delivered on the promise of full fledged psychedelia that the Chems previous albums had only hinted at. I think i might download this later and give it another couple of spins, if only for nostalgia's sake.

    Cheers,
    Edward

    ReplyDelete